House Hunt: September 2008 Archives

Walls, walls, walls

| | Comments (0)

I am fairly happy today. This weekend I powerwashed about half of the downstairs wall (this was after I scrapped it almost clean) and it looks good. Well, at least it did when I left but I will look at it today once it has dried. There were just a few little bits of dust and a dirt film left after scrapping and I was worried that the powerwashing would not actually get these last bits off and would have to wire brush it (which would take a long time).

But, the powerwashing seems to do the trick so I only have a few more hours to finish. I have half of the downstairs wall to powerwash, half of the upstairs wall to scrap and then powerwash the upstairs wall. The last part then, is the extra 2 feet upstairs. We are still waiting on our permits so I do not know if we can raise the 2nd floor ceiling, so I do not really want to do all that work to finish those last 2 feet until we know for sure.

We bought a SINK!

| | Comments (0)

We found a great deal on a sink for the basement unit. It is a white cast iron with the faucet. Kristen found it on Craigslist. I talked them down to $70 for both, delivered. Yay!

The sink itself was HEAVY. I had no idea that cast iron sinks were that heavy, but I got it into our little apartment.

IMG_0177[1].jpg

I have almost completed my dirt removal of both walls. The downstairs one is done and ready to be washed, then sealed. And then I'm done with that. The upstairs wall is about 1/3 of the way clean. I am hoping to get it complete clean and ready to be washed by this weekend.

Then next problem is will the power washer clean off all the scum that is left. There are no large clumps of dirt or plaster, but just his film over everything. I am hoping that the power washer will remove this. If it does not, then I guess I will have to wire brush it all to get the last little stuff off (which I hope, hope, hope I do not have to do because that will be more time consuming).

Day whatever

| | Comments (0)

So I have been a little slow with updates,mainly because there is not much updating to do.

I have finished re-pointing the walls. I still have a little to do upstairs but I am not 100% sure about that because we have not gotten our permits back to know how high we can go.

I have been spending this week scraping the last little bits of dirt off the walls. I have completed the downstairs and will start he upstairs this weekend. Basically I am making sure that there are no little clingy pieces of plaster left. I was trying to wash the wall and these little pieces were really annoying. I had to scrub them off instead of letting the acid and powerwasher take them off. So, I decided to scrape they all off first. Now there is only a little dirt film left on the bricks which I hope will come off easily with the washer.

We almost have a new contractor. We have meet with a few and have limited our choices down to the final two. R&B and Don Hartman. R&B is a little higher but they do good work. We are waiting for them to re-evaluate their bid and hopefully they will come down some, then it will be more of a choice.

We are still waiting on our permit so it is not "that" much trouble that we don't have a contractor yet. I need to give the neighbors a letter stating that we are adding a 3rd story and a few other things which our architect should be taking care of, so hopefully the permits come in soon.

Blogs

Web Design

Toons

Games

Links

Archives

Powered by Movable Type 4.12